Puntura and jockey, Craig Grylls return
- Taranaki six-year-old PUNTURA landed some smart bets winning the 19th running of the Coupland’s Bakeries Mile in the hands of Gary Grylls. Carole and John Lynskey own the gelding who is trained by Robbie Patterson. Favourite IT’S BUSINESS TIME ran second ahead of DISS IS DRAMATIC and topweight TIMES TICKING.
- Windsor Park Stud sponsored the Canterbury Breeders Stakes and the Mark Walker, Sam Bergerson partnership continued their winning Canterbury form this season with FASHION SHOOT taking the honours from the locals LIVE DRAMA and MISS LAYLA.
- Te Akau Racing also dominated the Halls Refrigerated Transport Two-year-old with Michale McNab steering DREAM TO THE MOON to the win ahead of DIABLO BLANCO, who won the previous juvenile race in the south, and DAMAS.
- Hall of Fame trainer John Wheeler lined up LORD DONOVAN to use the special conditions allowing him to race in the second day maiden with a 2kg penalty after winning on the first day. Paying $1.70 the five-year-old won by 3 lengths after winning by eight on the first day.
- McNab was the only rider to win two races on the programme whilst the Walker Bergerson partnership prepared three winners.