About Canterbury Jockey Club
For over 168 years the Canterbury Jockey Club has been at the forefront of New Zealand racing conducting some of the most prestigious races in the country. Riccarton Park is home to 31 racedays with highlights including the New Zealand Cup Meeting in November, Grand National Festival of Racing (Jumps Racing) in August and the four day Autumn Racing Season.
The Clubs racing calendar is defined by:
- The iconic Martin Collins New Zealand Cup® over the staying test of 3200 metres.
- Group 1, Al Basti Equiworld New Zealand 2000 Guineas® over the classic distance of 1600 metres.
- Group 1, Barneswood Farm New Zealand 1000 Guineas® for the three-year-old fillies.
- Group 3, Coupland's Bakeries Mile over 1600 metres for the Open horses
- These four races form the backbone of the New Zealand Cup Meeting.
- Racecourse Hotel & Motor Lodge Grand National Steeplechase in August.
- Hospitality New Zealand Canterbury Grand National Hurdle Race also in August.
- 22 Group, Listed and Prestige Jumping Races are held each year.
- On 11 of these races the Club pays above the industry funded minimum stake.
- 18 of the Clubs 31 racedays are Feature, Premier or Iconic racemeetings.
- Racing is conducted every month.
- 11 days of racing are held on the Synthetic track from May to September each year.
The 2024 Grand National Festival of Racing is 3, 7, 10 August and the 2023 NZ Cup Meeting is on 11, 15 & 18 November.