20 Jun 2020
Mid Winter Christmas Races
Amberley conduct this popular event bringing life to the Winter season. CANCELLED DUE TO COVID-19
03 Jul 2020
Riccarton Park - Canterbury Jockey Club
Provisional return to racing
14 Nov 2020
Fashion in the Field - November Event - 2020 details here when available
The Mondo Travel / Emirates Airline / Millennium Hotels and Resorts "Fashion in the Field "event.
Welcome to Riccarton Park
Latest - 21 April NZTR have released a proposed programme for a return to racing
Previous - 11 April NZTR update communication and potential return to racing,
Previous - 1 April for the NZTR Update and the latest communication.
Previous NZTR release 23 March 2020 - now in lockdown from Tuesday for 4 weeks to 24 April
For over 160 years the Canterbury Jockey Club has been at the forefront of New Zealand racing conducting some of the most prestigious races in the country. Riccarton Park is home to 22 racedays each season with highlights including the New Zealand Cup Meeting in November, Grand National Festival of Racing (Jumps Racing) in August and the four day Autumn Racing Season.
The Clubs racing calendar is defined by.
- The iconic Christchurch Casino New Zealand Cup over the staying test of 3200 metres.
- Group 1, Al Basti Equiworld New Zealand 2000 Guineas of $500,000 over the classic distance of 1600 metres.
- Group 1, Barneswood Farm New Zealand 1000 Guineas for the three-year-old fillies.
- Group 2, Coupland's Bakeries Mile of $230,000 over 1600 metres for the Open horses
- These four races form the backbone of the New Zealand Cup Meeting.
- Racecourse Hotel & Motor Lodge Grand National Steeplechase in August.
- Hospitality New Zealand Canterbury Grand National Hurdle Race also in August.
- 23 Group, Listed and Prestige Jumping Races are held each year.
- On 11 of these races the Club pays well above the industry funded minimum stake.
- 17 of the Clubs 22 racedays are Feature, Premier or Iconic racemeetings.
- Minimum stake of $20,000 for all races except the $10,000 maidens on these days.
- Minimum stake of $10,000 at the five Industry and Tier 2 Feature days
- Racing conducted every month except for July.
- Total stakes of $6.2 million distributed over the 22 racedays.
The 2020 Grand National Festival of Racing will not be held due to Covid-19 while the 2020 NZ Cup Meeting is on 7, 11 & 14 November.
Vibrant and exciting racedays held throughout the year. Download the 2019/20 race dates file.
Riccarton Park recognised the victims of the Christchurch 15 March terror attacks during the 23 March 2019 raceday. You can watch here.