Summer Racing 21 January Review
Chris Johnson Celebration Raceday
- The day the Club celebrated the feat of Chris Johnson riding a New Zealand Record of 2,452 winners.
- Riccarton Park was named ‘Chris Johnson Racecourse’ for the day and races carried the names of horses with special meaning to Chris.
- Fittingly CW rode the winner of the first race named after his first ever winner ‘NOBLE STAR’ and ‘KAITOA’ a horse on which Chris won the Nelson and Foxton Cups in his first season of riding. He was aboard FINAL LOT which was also fittingly trained by John and Karen Parsons. (SEE IMAGE)
- The days feature race was named after ‘WOODBINE BLUE CHIP’ a horse on which Chris won the Sydenham and Grand National Hurdles double and went the way of the Stephen Marsh trained BELLE FASCINO ridden by Sam Wynne.
- Local trainers Anna Furlong and Shane Kennedy dominated proceedings winning three races the ‘ROUGH HABIT’ with LAPHROAIG, the ‘SAVVY COUP’ with ZAREEBA and the last race the ‘FINAL TOUCH & CAMINO ROCOSO’ with HIGHLY UNLIKELY. Dan Bothamley rode the first and third of them and Kozzi Asano rode the other.
- Kozzi had previously been aboard BRONTE BEACH when she won the ‘LOADER CHRIS JOHNSON CELEBRATION’ earlier in the day giving Stephen Marsh’s Riccarton Park stable a double for the day.
- The ‘TARTAN TIGHTS & TYCOON LIL’ named after two fillies on which Chris won doubles in the NZ 1000 Guineas and NZ Oaks was won by the Steven Woodsford trained STREET FIGHTIN MAN with Akshay Balloo the jockey.
- The other race on the day was the ‘BANDIT & NEAT’ two horses Chris trained and rode in his 2005 comeback. Kylie Williams rode the winner ARNAGE for Jackie Burrows.