Spring Racing 4th Day Review
The Chosen One wins Zacinto Stakes
- The days feature, and key lead-in to the Al Basti Equiworld NZ 2000 Guineas and gavelhouse.co NZ 1000 Guineas, was the $70,000 Zacinto Stakes. The race was dominated by yet another member of that wonderful breed of the Dennis Brothers from Woodlands, in Southland. THE CHOSEN ONE was not that when passed in at the yearling sales but is rewarding his breeders and the syndicate formed to race him with two wins from as many starts. He is trained at Cambridge by Murray Baker and Andrew Forsman and was ridden by Matt Cameron.
- The was only one Christchurch Casino NZ Cup entry starting in the Christchurch Casino Spring Classic and that proved to be an omen with SWING NOTE taking out the 2000 metre Listed race from the Kevin Hickman owned pair of ZENTESSA and THE HEIRESS.
- Whilst Jamie Richards prepared three winners on the day before racing started the most likely winner from the punters perspective was CHALLA in the NZB Insurance Pearl Series Race for the two-year-olds. The hot favourite, however, had no answer for the locally trained MISS FEDERER who improved on her first-up third. The win gave Andrew Carston his first of two winners on the day. Te Akau did claim the Pryde's EasiFeed Awards for both Horse of The Season, Remington, and Trainers.
- Carston’s other winner was STROWAN in the Rating 65 1200 metres event. Some frustrating recent performances were able to be put aside by the five-year-olds owners which include Board Member and past Chairman Jeff McCall and Trustee of the racecourse his father Clive. Stable apprentice Kozzi Asano rode his very first winner aboard STROWAN.
- RANGIPO heads in the Coupland’s Bakeries Mile as a last start winner after winning to 1400 metres Trial from a very game IRISH CALL and FLYING SARDINE.
- The days leading rider with three winners was the Te Akau stable rider Shafiq Rusof.