New Zealand Cup Meeting 2021 - 2nd Day
Te Akau to the fore again
- Tangerine was again the colour of the day. Specifically, the Tangerine and blues colours of trainer Jamie Richards and Te Akau Racing.
- Racing was conducted in front of a reduced crowd under the COVID-19 Alert level 2 regulations.
- MARCUA AURELIUS in the masterful hands of Opie Bosson took out the 17th running of the Coupland’s Bakeries Mile. Locally trained SERIOUSLY gave her trainer Meg Cunneen the biggest thrill of her fledgling career finishing second at long-odds and COLORADO STAR ran third.
- The very next race ZULUMINOUS triumphed under Danielle Johnson whilst earlier in the day the Group 3 feature sprint the Lindauer Stewards Stakes also went to Te Akau Racing when rejuvenated sprinter SUMMER MONSOON, also ridden by Bosson beat LIVE DRAMA and SATU LAGI.
- Riccarton Park trainer Ross Beckett who did all his preparatory work on the Polytrack won twice with TREYBON and BLAIR FLIGHT the later in Amicus Insurance Brokers Premier after escaping at the start and having to be vet checked before being cleared to start. Both were ridden by Ashburton jockey Jason Laking.
- Kevin Hickman, recently made a Life Member at the Club’s Annual General Meeting in October, sponsored the Valachi Downs Canterbury Breeders Stakes and took home the spoils in sensational fashion. PROVIDENCEPROVIDES had the race won before bumping the running rail and losing momentum. Hickman’s KARALINO raced past, and BENEFICIAL closed to be a whisker behind her with PROVIDENCEPROVIDES in third. Stable rider Craig Grylls was the pilot.
- The north south count was 6-5 to the north.