Ellie Stokes Trust
Fundraiser launched to help injured jockey
Ellie Stokes is a young woman whose life has changed dramatically.
Back in 2018 Ellie was working with her passion – horses – specifically working with thoroughbred racehorses in a racing stable with the dream of one day being a jockey and eventually a racing trainer in her own right.
On Thursday 3rd January 2019 Ellie, aged 16, suffered a tragic accident that changed that dream and her life and that of her parents and sister.
Ellie fell riding track work breaking her back in five places and severed her spinal cord which has left her paralysed from the chest down. She spent three weeks in intensive care and five months at Burwood Hospital and is continuing to receive treatment.
Her family, parents Lincoln and Alison and sister Megan are dealing with these changed circumstances with the stoic strength that her family possesses but they need help.
A home specially adapted to the needs of a wheelchair has been built but there is a shortfall of $80,000 in construction and associated costs that evolved in that process.
The ‘Ellie Stokes Trust’ has been established to raise the money to cover this cost and release the burden on Ellie and her family. The Trustees are Alison Stokes (Ellie’s mother), Marty Burns (NZ Thoroughbred Racing GM Welfare), Andrew McKerrow (NZTR Racetrack Chaplain), Gordon Fulton (Canterbury Jockey Club Chairman) and Tim Mills (CJC Chief Executive).
A range of fundraising activities will be organised, but immediate contributions can be made to the Trust bank account 12-3191-0038936-51. Request a receipt from email@example.com
The first activity is Charity Golf at Amberley Golf Club, to be held on Sunday 23 May. 9.30am for 10am tee off.
Multiple ways to get involved:
- GOLD PACKAGE $500: Team of 4, catering, refreshments provided. Name a hole and signage.
- SILVER PACKAGE $400: Team of 4, catering and refreshments provided. Bring a Banner.
- BRONZE PACKAGE $200: Team of 4.r
- Raffles, Hole in 1 prize, Prize for best team, longest put on 18th, best single round.
- You can make payments to the Trust account 12-3191-0038936-51. Please include your name and golf as reference. Request a receipt from firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact Steve Thomas (Tommo) on 027 554 5626 or email@example.com