Autumn Racing - 26 March Review
Irish Girl wins the Valachi Downs
- The First day of the Riccarton Park Autumn Season started in the best possible conditions for Autumn racing. Perfect weather and an ideal Dead track.
- The days feature Group 3 race, the Valachi Downs South Island Breeders Stakes went the way of the ‘Handicappers Pick’ with the highest rated runner IRISH GIRL prevailing in a good field of fillies and mares. The tough as teak mare had travelled all the way from Whangarei with part trainer Krystal Williams-Tuhoro and was ridden by Riccvartons own Terrence Moseley. The Jamie Richards trained ZOULUMINOUS finished second and the promising FETTERCAIRN third.
- The Seaton Family Hororata Gold Cup also went the way of Moseley aboard the John and Karen Parsons trained EL GLADIADOR. PHELAN THE POWER and ARE YOU CEREAL filled the minors.
- There were three open races on the programme with the days sprint the Johnny Fresh Darfield & Yaldhurst over the 1400 metres. Class galloper TOBILICIOUS had been off the scene with injury from January 2021, when he ran fourth to MELODY BELLE at Trentham, until March this year when running fifth at Wingatui. To return to the winners stall at only his second start back was of great satisfaction to Riverton trainers Kelvin and Aimee Tyler.
- Shane Kennedy and Anna Furlong provided the quinella in the time-honoured Petersen’s Jewellers Ladies Bracelet for the two-year-olds with DEFIANT beating KIKIMORA.
- Most expected PALMETTO to win the Selwyn Rakaia Vet Services Three-year-old. However the Dunedin and Southland Guineas winner had to settle for third behind FIREGLOW and BURGIE.