2nd Day Review
Hypnos wins Coupland's Bakeries Mile
- Roger James rarely travels back to his home province of Canterbury but when he does it pays to take notice. HYPNOS was his only runner at the meeting and was most convincing winner of the days feature the 16th running of the Coupland’s Bakeries Mile. Runaway premiership leader Danielle Johnson was the rider for Wellington owners Ron and Fran Dixon.
- Many friends of the late Neill Ridley were riding PRINCE OZ home along with actual rider Terry Moseley when the veteran stormed home to win his second Lindauer Stewards Stakes. He had previously won in 2018 when Neill was the trainer. This year Terri Rae prepared the Raymond and Mrak Connors owned gelding.
- 35 minutes later Lyn Prendergast trained her first winner since the passing of her husband and training partner Tony. QUEEN JETSUN won the RFL Premier for jockey Samantha Wynne.
- Stratford’s Trudy Keegan was making her first trip to Riccarton Park with her pride and joy AIMEE’S JEWEL and went home a winner. The good looking four-year-old mare was a most impressive winner of the Group 3 Valachi Downs Canterbury Breeders Stakes with Lisa Allpress making no secret of her opinion of the mare stating she was the reason she returned to the saddle as early as she did after a hip replacement.
- After a 9/2 count on the first day in favour of South Island stables the count was very similar at 9/3.