Grand National Festival of Racing - Day 1 Review
Winning Edge Presentations Winter Cup to Dez
- Uncle and nephew Harvey and Simon Wilson dominated the days features.
- Harvey prepared IT’S A WONDER for a stunning win in the Yesberg Insurance Services Koral Steeplechase in the hands of Shaun Phelan. ADEQUACY ran second with DOCTOR HOOK finishing third.
- Three races later Chris ‘Magic’ Johnson delivered a ride as only he can to get DEZ home a narrow winner from the favourite ROSEWOOD. Simon Wilson’s pride and joy improved from his third placing in the 2018 running of the Group 3 feature.
- The traditional opening event of the ‘National Festival’ is the Racecourse Hotel & Motor Lodge Sydenham Hurdles. Kevin Myers rarely missies at Riccarton Park and saddled GUY FOX to produce the fireworks in the lead-up to Wednesdays Hospitality NZ Canterbury Grand National Hurdles. BAD BOY BROWN, another Harvey Wilson runner, ran second and EL DISPARO ran third.
- The Club recognised 51 years of service by farrier Brian Wilson with the Mike Breslin trained WAFER winning the race named in his honour.
- Gore mentor Ellis Winsloe produced a very good training effort to get nine-year-old IRISH EXCUSE to win first up since April in the Dyer Decorating Premier. TABARD and DYNAMIC filled the minor placings in the days open sprint.
- Rodger and Emily Finlay are looking towards a third NZ Bloodstock Canterbury Belle Stakes with PAPAGENA after Tavistock filly flew home to nab CHUCK A LUCK on the line in the three-year-old race, the El Doute at Stud Cashmere Plate.
- The north versus south count stood at 6 to 4 in favour of the north