First Day Review
Aegon claims Group 1 Glory
- The Al Basti Equiworld Dubai NZ 2000 Guineas was the undoubted highlight of the day with unbeaten gelding AEGON extending his record to three for three in the Group 1 Classic. In doing so AEGON emulated his sire SACRED FALLS who had won the race in 2012 and gave the Murray Baker & Andrew Forsman training combination their fourth win in the NZ 2000 Guineas. Rider Leith Innes had also been aboard SACRED FALLS.
- The Baker Forsman combination took the days other feature the Nautical Boat Insurance Metropolitan Trophy with ROBUSTO. Matthew Cameron road the six-year-old daughter of ZAD in the 2500 meters Listed race.
- Two Riccarton Park trainers dominated the opening day of the 2020 New Zealand Cup meeting on their home course with Terri Rae and the Matthew & Michael Pitman team each training four winners.
- Rae can perhaps claim bragging rights as amongst her four was the winner of the Listed BrokerWeb Risk Services Pegasus Stakes. WEKAFORCE carrying the new colours of the Galloping Wekas Syndicate was too speedy over the 100 metres for rider Lisa Allpress.
- Lisa who had only recently returned to the saddle following a hip replacement also won the last on the card for Rae aboard SOUTHERN OCEAN to join Innes and Michael McNab as jockeys to ride two winners on the programme.
- 147 horses started in 11 races which is the most since records started to be kept in 1997.