Autumn Racing Season - 23 March Review
Lance Robinson trains a treble
- The first day of the Riccarton Park Autumn Racing Season belonged to local trainer Lance Robinson whose ‘Shotgun Stables’ prepared three of the nine winners on the day.
- KHIMAR WAR starting the ball rolling in the Selwyn River Vets Three-year-old, LIVE DRAMA recorded a debut win in the next race the Petersens Jewellers Ladies Bracelet and stable star BOOTS ‘N’ ALL took out the time honoured Seaton Family Memorial Hororata Gold Cup. Jacob Lowry, Terry Moseley and Corey Campbell were the respective winning riders.
- The days feature race was the Valachi Downs South Island Thoroughbred Breeders Stakes. Punters expected the Team Rogerson trained CONTESSA VANESSA to win but the visitor had to settle for third behind RESIDENTIAL and ZABAY. Trained by John and Karen Parsons RESIDENTIAL had been a dual stakes winning three-year-old but luck had deserted her at times since those days but not on this occasion as she returned to her very best form in the hands of visiting jockey Robert Hannam to record the ninth win of her career.
- Sonia and Garry Thompson sponsored the open sprint which went to the Shane Kennedy and Anna Furlong trained DISTURBANCE.
- Samantha Wynne had recently returned for a long injury enforced layoff and was possibly the most popular winner of the day when entering the winners stall after the first race aboard DIORISSIMO.
- After the first day the Hygain Trainers Award for the Autumn Season is led by John & Karen Parsons with 43 points from Matthew & Michael Pitman, 37 and Lance Robinson on 30.
- Racing Chaplain Andrew McKerrow led a prayer and a minute of silent reflection following the second race to remember the victims and families of the terror attack that struck Christchurch the week earlier on Friday 15 March 2019. You can watch here