Autumn Racing Season -13 April Review
Cups double for local stayer
- WHO DARES WINS became the third horse this century to win both the Christchurch Casino Easter Cup and Coca-Cola Canterbury Gold Cup in the same year. He was narrowly beaten in the 2000 metres Weight-For-Age feature last year but was dominate this time around. Winning rider Samantha Wynne was hoisted high in the air by ecstatic owners at the presentation after the race whilst trainers Lyn and Tony Prendergast look on. Tony is one of natures true gentleman and a just and fitting winner of the prestigious and time honoured race.
- Waverly trainer Bill Thurlow travelled his team to Royal Randwick and Riccarton Park on Saturday. Stable star GLORY DAYS ran third in the Sydney Cup and heir apparent BEYOND THE FORT recorded her third win in just four start winning the NZ Bloodstock Warstep Stakes. The only time she has been beaten was when second in the Al Basti Equiworld NZ Oaks at her previous start. Dylan Turner was the successful rider.
- Local trainer Neill Ridley provided the quinella in the days open sprint the D Reynolds Electrical with HE KIN FLY and Lee Callaway just beating PRINCE OZ and Terry Moseley in the tightest of finishes.
- Sam Wynne rode three winners on the day with one of them being NEESON who provided Auckland trainer Stephen McKee with his first winner since the passing of his legendary father Trevor.
- TRIFOLIUM defeated ALL ABOUT MAGIC in the gavelhouse.com Two-year-old for Marton trainer Fraser Auret.
- A feature of the day was racing taking place on Dead6 going after being Heavy10m the previous week.
- After the 3rd day the Hygain/Mitavite Trainers Award for the Autumn Season is led by Matthew & Michael Pitman on 105 points from John & Karen Parsons, 84, and Lance Robinson on 51.