Summer Racing - 22 February Review
First winning ride & winning return for jockeys
- The return to race riding of injured jockey Sam Wynne is being eagerly anticipated but she was in the winners stall for a different reason on Friday as part owner of TRUDEAU in the opening event. Ridden by Jacob Lowry TRUDEAU is trained at West Melton by Tony and Lyn Prendergast.
- Leading apprentice Corey Campbell meanwhile has returned from injury to a knee and piloted his first winner back aboard TE QUIERA in the Rating 65 2000 metre event. Trainer’s John and Karen Parsons provided Campbell with his winner.
- Fellow apprentice Mubs Kareem had the day he will never forget gaining his first ever win aboard QUAINTRELLE for his temporary employers Michael and Matthew Pitman in the Clare Yardley Barrister Rating 65. He is likely to be lost to southern racing with a reported return to his northern mentor Tony Pike.
- The Steven Woodsford trained four-year-old STARMAKER has long had a big reputation without quite delivering but did deliver on Friday winning the NZB South Island Sales 29 April Rating 65. Board Member Val Parrott is a part owner. As she so often does Tina Comignaghi rode a very well rated race from the lead.
- Another member of the Club’s Board Susanne Dunnett was also in the winners circle after the last race as she shares in the ownership of VOUCH. Sam Collett rode for trainer Andrew Carston.